Hydrogen sulfide baths - indications and contraindications
Hydrogen sulfide (sulfide) bath - a popular method of spa treatment, which uses natural sulphide mineral water, differing ionic composition and degree of mineralization. Depending on the concentration of hydrogen sulfide distinguish low concentration of hydrogen sulfide water, the average concentration, strong and very strong.
In Russia, the most famous resort with a natural source of hydrogen sulfide waters is the city of Sochi. Also included are such resorts as:
- Sernovodsk Caucasus;
- Khilovo and others.
Let us consider what the indications and contraindications of hydrogen sulfide baths.
The use of hydrogen sulfide baths
The mechanism of action of hydrogen sulfide caused both baths common to all treatment baths factors (temperature, mechanical action, hydrostatic pressure), and presence of free hydrogen sulfide and hydrosulfide ions. These substances penetrate into the body through the skin and lungs, have the following effects:
Hydrogen sulfide baths contribute to the normalization of the nervous system and coronary circulation, lower blood pressure, increase in peripheral resistance of the heart. There is an expansion of capillaries, accelerated blood flow, normalizes metabolism, increases the motor function of joints, etc.
What treat hydrogen sulfide baths?
Indications for treatment of hydrogen sulfide baths are the following diseases:
- diseases of the cardiovascular system (hypertension stage I or II, occlusive disease, sclerotic changes in the heart muscle, atherosclerotic heart disease, cerebral and peripheral vessels of the extremities, myocardial dystrophy, heart disease, and others.);
- diseases of the musculoskeletal system and joints (polyarthritis of different etiology to chronic or subacute, chronic spondylitis, low back pain, post-traumatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, rheumatoid arthritis, no internal organ involvement and a low activity of the inflammatory process);
- neurological diseases without exacerbation (encephalopathy on the basis of intoxication, meningoencephalitis is the acute stage, neuritis, poliradikulity, neuralgia, traumatic and infectious plexites, vertebral diseases of the peripheral nervous system, the effects of spinal cord injury and its membranes, and others.);
- dermatological diseases (various forms of chronic eczema, seborrheic eczema and professional, psoriasis , atopic dermatitis, chronic urticaria, dermatoses with congenital hyperkeratosis, scleroderma and others.);
- gynecological diseases (chronic nonspecific diseases in remission, infertility, tubal origin, menstrual dysfunction, and others.);
- diseases of the endocrine system (low thyroid function, mild forms of diabetes).
It is worth noting that the appointment of hydrogen sulfide baths in psoriasis is taken into account the seasonality of the disease. "Summer" forms are treated in the winter, and "winter" - in the summer.
Contraindications hydrogen sulfide baths
Despite the benefit of hydrogen sulfide baths, have these procedures and contraindications, which include:
- bronchial asthma;
- severe atherosclerosis of the heart and brain;
- myocardial reinfarction;
- circulatory failure;
- chronic diseases of liver and biliary tract;
- chronic nephritis and nephrosis;
- thyrotoxicosis and others.